Saturday 7 May 2016

Palak / Spinach Parathas




A few weeks back I saw a website that came up in my Facebook news feed about making different types of parathas. Since I know a few different recipes myself, I was intrigued to see what kinds were in this recipe link. Scrolling down the list palak parathas caught my eye. Now I do feel I should have more spinach in my diet but always find it difficult to think what I can make besides the moong dal and palak. Just realised, that I have not penned that one and will do so after this one. I am not very fond of palak paneer as the palak is gets cooked to a pulp.
The palak paratha recipe was to my mind very lengthy and it involved blitzing the spinach in a mixer and using the pulp instead for water to knead the dough. Of course various condiments and spices were to be added to this dough. This would provide nice green parathas. I did not want to do the additional blitzing of spinach which meant I would not be sure of how much dough I would eventually make and additional washing up. So I adapted the recipe and made these wonderful tasting parathas.
Ingredients
1/2 bunch of spinach finely chopped
2 cm piece of ginger finely chopped
1 medium sized green chilli also finely chopped
300 gm of plain wheat flour / chapatti flour
A teaspoon of salt
Water about 225 ml
5 table spoons of Olive oil.

Preparing the Dough
  • Place the finely chopped spinach, ginger, chilli and salt in a bowl.
  • Add the flour and 1 table spoon of olive oil next and mix them together.
  • Then start adding water a little at a time while bringing the dough together.
  • Once all the dough is brought together knead it for a few minutes.
  • Finally take a teaspoon of olive oil in your hand and knead the dough to make it smooth.
Normally I set aside the dough of parathas and chapattis to rest but with this one I try not to keep it resting for more than 10 minutes as the palak can make the dough too soft.

Preparing the Paratha
  • Put a flat griddle or tawa on the hob to get it heating. Have a small bowl of oil and teaspoon to brush the paratha with oil as it is cooking. It is useful to get a foil ready to cover your parathas and keep them warm.  Take a dough ball big enough to fill your palm. You should be able to make about 7 balls / portions from that dough.
  • Flatten it a little and cover it with flour before rolling it out. This use of flour as you are rolling out keeps the dough from sticking on to the rolling pin (Gujarati word is velan) or the surface you are rolling it on. Some people can use the work surface tops or wooden or marble patlo (a Gujarati word for the surface you roll out your chapattis on).
  • Roll out the dough to as about 2 mm thickness.
  • Put on the hot griddle and wait for it to warm up and start to get cooked. Turn it over once and brush with oil. Then turn over again and brush the other side with oil. The cooked paratha will have some blistering and darkening patches.

I would recommend having these palak parathas with raita or moong dal or even just mango pickle.


No comments:

Post a Comment